Saturday, June 14, 2008

FINALY AFTER 42 YEARS




July 1966 Jim Trojan asked me if I would be interested in working for him and his dad in the Air-Conditioning/Refrigeration industry. We were both in a local bar drinking when this conversation started and I asked him what the job was about. Jim said they needed a truck driver, someone to pull and deliver material and occasionally get to work with the mechanics in the field.
I thought I'm drinking in a bar and there in here hiring drivers this sounds like a good place to work.
That's how Syd "the Kid" Smith got into the refrigeration trade.
Over the years I have been a truck driver, a local UA 373 refrigeration apprentice, a Journeyman Mechanic, a supermarket refrigeration installation Foreman, A project Coordinator, An H.V.A.C service manager. The owner of two business and to day is the first time that I am about to live in a house with central air-conditioning. Don't you think that's a little strange? Anyway here are a few shots of Matthew and Billy doing the finishing touches on two Carrier (brand) 21 SEER A/C systems.

6 comments:

crowldawg said...

I waited 58 years before i had Air Conditioning of any kind .Never even had a window unit .Now I feel like I'm making up for lost time!
Actually I haven't put it on yet . Those hot days last week were spent in the AIR CONDITIONED airstream. It looked like a big ice cold Coors can sweating in the sun.

Syd said...

To tell you the truth I don't like it and never have. I'll admit there is always a week every year that it's nice to have the rest of the time I don't need or want it.

I like to sleep with the windows open and that's all year long.

crowldawg said...

I felt the same as you Until I started to use it . Now I wouldn't be without it ,unless I had to . No humidity is such a nice thing!!!

Syd said...

We have the stats set at 74 and the fans set to on. I'm always cold

crowldawg said...

That what you get for putting in those cere 20's .I think I keep mine at 69 only because I still dream once and awhile .lol

crowldawg said...

I just noticed how you subtley manage to get some advertising into the blog