Saturday, August 9, 2008

PAY AS YOU GO.

I was thinking about PIC A LOMONDA PIZZA and not having any money. Money has no value today but when I was young it did. Pizza Parlors were kind of new and especially to me. One weekend Maryjo and I went to Pat and Toms house "A special house" a house that they were renting all the way at the end of Long Island. Back then Long Island was a remote place to go. A special trip. New to us and kind of foreign. The thought of going was always exciting, What day and time could we go? How long could we stay? What should we bring? And always could we afford to go? Some how things always worked out and once there the weekend would unfold and a wonderful time would be had.

Once Aunt Pat had some day visitors come, I believe from Staten Island or maybe Brooklyn. One of the visitors an older man drove a Cadillac and was entertaining us with some serious card tricks and gambling stunts that were pretty impressive.

At some point he became hungry and I think sensed there might be a problem with the amount of food that would be required to feed all of us and his group and said Pat I'm getting hungry what do you have to eat? Before Pat could answer he said you guys got one of those Pizza parlors around here? Pat said yes there is a new place that opened in town but we have never gone there. He said if Tom and his friend Syd don't mind going to town I'd like to treat us all to some pizza. Pat said OK we would love that. This guy pulled out a wad of money and handed Tom a $100 dollar bill (the first I had ever seen and sent us for pizza) I think we purchased 8 pies, wine, soda and beer and brought back $40 bucks. I'm not sure if every thing I've just said is 100% accurate but I'm close.
Today I paid $2.45 for a slice of pie and $1.85 for a Coke thats $4.30. God help you kids.

3 comments:

crowldawg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
crowldawg said...

It was Pat's godfather .A friend of Emils' from the 'hood.
He was a "professional dealer" for private parties .These Parties weren't run by the legion!
If you remember he took Buster Crabb aka Flash Gordon for 10K the night before those tricks .That deck he used was some piece of crap deck we had in the draw .It wasn't marked by him.lol

crowldawg said...

You neglected to mention that it was 1971. We weren't making 10k / yr yet. Only one of our combined tribe was born yet and gas was about $0.35/gal.
It would be like wipping out a fist full of thousands today .If they made thousands.lol